A Mill Creek Valley community, Carthage is seven miles north of downtown Cincinnati. The area was settled around 1790 with Jacob White’s Station, a blockhouse built at the third Mill Creek crossing. The area was rural throughout most of the 19th century and was incorporated in 1861. Carthage became part of Cincinnati in 1911. Horse racing was popular for this community and these meets were featured at the Carthage Fair Grounds (now the Hamilton County Fairgrounds) until the 1960s.
Carthage is an older, urban neighborhood with many homes built from the early 1900s - 1930s. In recent times some new affordable homes have been constructed in the community. Home styles range from cape cods, to brick two stories to shot-gun style homes.
Carthage is centrally located in greater Cincinnati. Interstate 75 is within minutes to take drives north and south. The Norwood Lateral connects motorists to the eastern side of Cincinnati and to Interstate 71. It is a 15-minute drive to downtown Cincinnati. Cincinnati buses service the area.
All seven of Cincinnati’s finest hospitals are within a 15-minute drive via the interstate, including Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Good Samaritan Hospital, Christ Hospital and University Hospital.
Along Vine Street in Cathage, there are several locally run shops and restaurants. A 15-minute drive and one can shop at either the Kenwood Towne Centre or Tri-County Mall with many national brand stores including Nortstrom, Macy’s, JC Penney and Dillard’s. Rookwood Commons and Pavilion shopping center is 10 minutes away in Norwood and offers many convenient stores and restaurants.
The Community Center (formerly Carthage Elementary School) houses the Seniors of Carthage and the Carthage Community Gardens. A fitness room is available for members. Carthage has two parks: Caldwell Playground and Caldwell Nature Center. The playground features a spray park for the wamer months.