Felicity was the home of potter Artus Van Briggle, an artist who worked at the world-renowned Rookwood Pottery. He perfected the art of matt glazing, duplicating that on pottery from the Ming Dynasty. His highly-coveted works are occasionally offered at auction and command high prices.
Felicity was originally called Feestown. A German settler, William Fee, plotted the village in 1817 and named it after himself. His daughter Margaret didn’t like the name and change it to Felicity when the village was incorporated in 1836. With the Ohio River just a short drive away, the village was a frequent resting place for slaves escaping along the Underground Railroad. Today, 34 miles from Cincinnati in southeastern Clermont County, the village is home to 3874 residents. The village has seen a nearly 12% growth rate in recent years, as more of the rural area is changing from farming to residential. New residential construction is keeping pace with the increased demand.
Felicity is at the confluence of St. Rts. 133, 222, 774 and 756. U.S. 52 along the river, part of the Scenic Ohio River Byway, is a major thoroughfare. Brown County Airport is 17 miles away. Greater Cincinnati International Airport is about a 50-minute drive.
The Felicity-Franklin Joint Fire Department provides EMS service to the area. Brown County Hospital in Georgetown 14 miles away is the closest hospital, with Clermont Mercy 18 and Anderson Mercy just 23 miles away.
Daily needs can be met in either Felicity or in Augusta, Kentucky just over the Ohio River. For a more in-depth shopping experience Eastgate Mall is 17 miles away.
The great outdoors here is the lure for residents. With nearby East Fork State Park, and just over the bridge in Kentucky Kincaid Lake State Park, anglers, boaters, and campers have plenty of opportunity for their craft. Boaters love the Ohio River with its numerous water sports. In the village a Paddling and Cycling Club keep aficionados busy. Wine tastings at the Lakeside Vineyard provide a stop on Ohio’s tasting trail.