83 Central TerWyoming, OH 45215
Wyoming was named after the Wyoming Valley in Pennsylvania, with settlers arriving in the early 1800s. The Miami & Erie Canal located in Lockland brought workers to that area who in turn built their homes in Wyoming. In 1851 with railroad service, residential subdivisions grew and Wyoming became an official village in 1874 with 600 residents. In 1951 the village became a city with 5,000 residents. Today, old-home lovers traveling down the wide tree-lined streets of Wyoming can relive much of this community’s early grandeur.
The Wyoming Civic Center is a hub of bowling, teenage activities and adult social programs. Many organizations such as the Junior Women’s Club, the Wyoming Women’s Club and Kiwanis use the center as a meeting place. There is an active Newcomers Group.
The Wyoming Golf Club is a private 9-hole course with paddle tennis and swimming. Winton Woods features a public 18-hole golf course. Glenview golf course is located in nearby Glendale. There are other private country clubs: Kenwood, Clovernook and Maketewah, each about 15 minutes away.
The Wyoming Recreation Center program provides a broad spectrum of activities, gymnasiums, skate park, athletic fields, playgrounds and day camps, as well as swimming pools, swim lessons and swim teams and exercise programs for all ages.
The Wyoming Swim Club is available by membership. The Powel Crosley, Jr. YMCA is minutes away.
Wyoming is home to six parks, plus playgrounds and fields with baseball, soccer and football fields. There are also several trails for hikers and bikers to enjoy.
The community hosts an annual Art Show in May. Concerts and outdoor movies are held on the Village Green and Civic Center during the summer. The annual May Fete is community festival with rides, games and fun. The Fourth of July celebration is a huge tradition with a parade, fireworks and a fun Muddy Pig race. The Fall Festival is held in October and features vendors along the streets, with food and crafts. Light Up Wyoming is held in December as is the One-Stop Shop held usually the first Saturday in December.